On a recent trip to Africa, Caulene Bussard, Marilyn’s sister and world missionary stumbled upon a struggling ministry to the many orphaned children in Nairobi Kenya called “The Children’s Garden”, founded by Moses Ndung’u (Daddy Moses). Without outside help many of these children would not survive. Caulene felt compelled to help and began a project with Slovack children and their families in Bratislavia to raise funds so these needy children could have their basic needs taken care of and at the same time receive an education. As more funds were raised, more children arrived, creating an even greater need. As of today there are far more needy children than funds to provide them even basic needs. Marilyn often wished she could do more to help and now she can – Through You! Please give generously to this worthy project
Click here for more information about the Children's Garden



Our Sweet Easton

Easton's Debut

Bulletin Board - Leave A Message ----- Scroll down & Click on chat

Monday, December 21, 2009

It's Been A Long Time But Christmas Has Finally Arrived


3 ½ months have come and gone since my last update here and once again a great deal of water has passed under the bridge of life..  I recall noting in my last entry how quickly vacations seem to fly by and how long it seems since the last one.  Now as I look back on the last 3 months it feels like just yesterday I was contemplating the opening of yet another year of school. 

Well school opened with a vengeance and I hit the floor running and haven’t slowed down since that first day in August.  The days seemed to blur from one to the next with very short sleeps in between.  Today, as I begin a much deserved Christmas break, I vow to savor each moment enjoying another opportunity to kick back and relax as the rest of the world flys past looking for that ever illusive perfect gift as plans are made to celebrate the most important birthday party of all.

I am happy that back in the summer months, we got together as a family and decided to have our family gathering this year at Thanksgiving – leaving the Christmas vacation open for come creative holiday plans.  So - - when Thanksgiving rolled around we all headed off to Fairmont hot springs with our turkey dinner and all the trimmings.  Luckily, I was able to find an exceptional deal on 4 condo units and with everyone chipping in we all ended up in some fine luxurious accommodations and while the turkey was being prepared the men folk (accompanied by one adventuresome lady) abandoned the never ending football games on TV and headed out for some quality golf in sub zero temperatures. Although the day looked like a beautiful summer afternoon from the comfort of a warm living room – in actuality pair of long underwear and winter parka was necessary as golf course official abandoned the idea of official proper dress for the occasion.  Keeping warm was much more important than fashion that day.  As it turned out, we were the fortunate ones weather-wise because back in Calgary a winter storm raged ending golf for another year.

I can’t remember enjoying Thanksgiving and family time as much as I did this year.   Before heading back home we all got together and thanked God for His faithfulness to us as a family.  We also decided to use what God had given us this year to share with someone in need at Christmas and instead of spending lavishly on each other we would draw names and limit our spending to $50 per person.  I can’t say I have ever enjoyed Christmas shopping but this year I had a blast.  Shopping for family was accomplished in one quick trip to Walmart and then off to Value Village to look for stuff that would make a homeless person feel like a king.  I was amazed at what one can find to wrap up as fine gifts at a thrift store.  Our bible study cell group decided to take on the bringing of cheer to some of Calgary’s less fortunate and my list included specific sizes of Jeans and T shirts.  As it turned out, all I could find in that category at Value village were brand new high end fashion Jeans complete with original store tags.  It seemed God knew I was coming and had everything on my list all laid out – including a hand carved brand new wooden cribbage board that had clearly never been used (another item on my list)  I think next month I will stop by again and see if He left anything on the shelves I might like. (I will report on that later).

As a family we also decided to leave the Holiday time for each other and just get together, exchange gifts and play some games one evening before all the hubbub of  Christmas swept us off our feet.  Fortunately all of our schedules synced up on November 30 and once again we gathered for a family fest.  Now as Christmas is fast approaching I can really find the time I need to just sit back and relax.  School is out for 15 days and I find myself lying in bed looking out at a beautiful stretch of the south Atlantic that lies in front of my Daytona Beach Condo.  To say “MY CONDO”  is a bit misleading as I don’t really own this lovely piece of property – just have custody of it  for the next 7 days.  Aren’t Timeshares Wonderful?  In the suite next door I can still hear the soft sounds of snoring from my son David and his wife Tracie.  Could life get any better??

School and Calgary are a long ways away and will remain that way for the next 10 days.  Relaxing is on the top of my list – Along with celebrating.  Celebrating the wonderful birth of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Don’t forget the One who can give an abundant life and have a very happy Christmas.

Bryon

1 comment:

Jenn M said...

Hi Mr. Seeley -
I was a student at Fairview Junior High school from 1999-2002. You were my band teacher in Grades 7 and 8. My aunt recently ran into her band teacher from junior high and that got me thinking about my band teachers, and all the memories I have from that time. I wanted to thank you, and I happened to find this blog. I just wanted to tell you that band is one of my best memories, in particular the trip to Disneyland - not just because it was my first trip there but also because the friends I made on that trip have become my lifelong friends, and I am even engaged to a wonderful guy I became close friends with while on that trip. We all get together and when we get talking about junior high, we always have so many good memories of band class. I just wanted to thank you (10 years later) for all the work you put into making that wonderful trip happen - I still have the video Mr. Amy made and I cherish it and all the memories thinking about band bring to me!
I am so sorry to read about your wife, Mr. Seeley - I remember getting the chance to talk to her on that Disneyland trip and she was a very nice lady. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.
Anyways, I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me all those wonderful memories. You were a terrific teacher and I wish you the best in life!
PS - sorry this message was so out of the blue! I hope it didn't creep you out. Thank you again =)