On a recent trip to Africa, Caulene Bussard, Marilyn’s sister and world missionary stumbled upon a struggling ministry to the many orphaned children in Nairobi Kenya called “The Children’s Garden”, founded by Moses Ndung’u (Daddy Moses). Without outside help many of these children would not survive. Caulene felt compelled to help and began a project with Slovack children and their families in Bratislavia to raise funds so these needy children could have their basic needs taken care of and at the same time receive an education. As more funds were raised, more children arrived, creating an even greater need. As of today there are far more needy children than funds to provide them even basic needs. Marilyn often wished she could do more to help and now she can – Through You! Please give generously to this worthy project
Click here for more information about the Children's Garden



Our Sweet Easton

Easton's Debut

Bulletin Board - Leave A Message ----- Scroll down & Click on chat

Saturday, September 27, 2008

The final awakening

I haven’t had much time to just sit and think this week. Probably that is a good thing, keeping me from depression. On Friday though, I had a very quiet day. The phone only rang a few times and I had the day mostly to myself. A day to think and meditate.

Much of the numbness of the past has begun to wear off and the reality of the future is setting in. For the first few days after Marilyn’s passing there were always people around. My kids, friends and neighbors – all with kind words and support. It was easy to get caught up in preparations and forget about the reality of my own future. However, after a few hectic hours of last minute preparations everything came to a grinding halt. I couldn’t think of anything else left to do but go home and face the mound of paper that had been building up in my basement office. My house greeted me with total silence. No friendly words of greeting that I had come to take for granted – just a deathly silence, and the knowledge that this is reality. It was time to think on the reality of life.

When I was sifting through all the keepsakes and memories that Marilyn had so carefully tucked away, I came across a wall plaque that had hung in the Dye home in Olds for many years. On it were the words of Paul written from a prison in Rome to the people of Philpi. “For me to live is Christ, but to die is gain”. Marilyn lived by that motto. In her last days she often reminded me that where she was going was so much better than the world she was enduring. My sister Shirley wrote a poem called Heaven as a tribute to my father when he passed away of the same terrible disease. I remember vividly a family reunion where my dad stood up and quoted from the book of revelation, describing the beautiful place God has prepared for his own children. A few short months after that he too went on to his prepared home in heaven.

So, why does God allow pain and suffering in this world? Another verse came to me as I sat thinking on this question. This time the verse came in the form of music, a tune that wouldn’t leave my brain. I don’t remember the rest of the song but the words are “In this world you will have trouble, but I HAVE OVERCOME THE WORLD.” These words come from the 16th chapter of the book of John. God didn’t promise that everything would be peaches and cream. He sent his own son into our world to experience the same pains and struggles that we go through. Then I realized that this world we reside in isn’t God’s world. God’s world is the place he has prepared for his children. That place has no suffering and no pain. Tears are permanently wiped away in God’s world. He has overcome the world we live in and prepared the perfect place for us. Another song popped into my head. The opening phrase states – “This world is not my home, I’m just a passing though”. It goes on to say – “My treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue”.

Today we celebrate the life of my wife. Yes it will be a hard day for me, but also it will be a day of rejoicing. First of all I know that Marilyn has had the best week of her life. She has a new perfect body that never will know pain again. Something that I can’t even comprehend. Secondly, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will see her again. I know this because Christ promised eternal life to anyone who asks for forgiveness through him. I did that at my father’s knee in my home at the age of seven. Marilyn also did the same with her mother guiding her. If you are reading this now and have not made that all-important commitment, I urge you to stop and ask God for this gift. It is free – but sadly many reject it. It is so easy to give an excuse or say it is not for me. I am so glad that 50 years ago I made that very commitment and today I can rest in the promise that I too have a place reserved in God’s world of eternity.

Sir Walter Scott asked the question “Is this the final sleep”? And then answered it with this statement – “No it is the final awakening”.   Today we will gather to celebrate Marilyn’s final awakening. She has awakened into that promised place – The world that God has overthrown. The world that is a free gift to all who ask.

I look forward to seeing you there someday.

Bryon

PS
One of Marilyn’s close Internet friends will be videoing the celebration today. I will edit it a quickly as possible and post it for those who would like to take part in this but could not due to personal circumstances.

No comments: